Configuring Gradescope LTI 1.3 in Moodle
Configuring Gradescope LTI 1.3 in Moodle
Before you can begin configuring your LTI 1.3 integration, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can enable the integration permissions to your account. Once you have received our confirmation that your Gradescope account has the necessary permissions, you can continue onto the first step.
If you don’t have an account yet, go to the Gradescope website and select Sign Up. Select the Instructor role, fill out the provided form and ensure you use the same email address you use on Moodle. You will be emailed with a link to set a password so that you are able to access your new account.
The configuration process consists of steps in both Moodle and Gradescope. Having both apps open in separate tabs could make the process easier. We recommend that you either complete the configuration process all at once, or on your test Moodle environment if you think it may need to be completed in stages. Let’s get started!
Step One - Configuring in Moodle
- Log into your Gradescope account that has the integration permissions enabled. It contains details that need to be copied onto your Moodle integration configuration page.
- Once logged in, select LTI 1.3 Integrations from the left side navigation and then select Configure Integration in the bottom right corner.
- Select Create new registration and then choose Moodle from the drop-down menu. Two headings will appear, Gradescope and LMS Details. The details under the Gradescope heading need to be copied into Moodle. Once that has been done, Moodle will provide you with the information needed for the LMS Details section.
- Open a new tab in your browser and log into your Moodle administrator account.
- Select Site Administration and then search for Manage Tools in the search bar. Select the Manage Tools result.
- Inside the Add Tool box, select configure a tool manually.
- From this External Tool configuration page, you can begin copying the details listed in the Gradescope page. Ensure you copy the details for the following fields:
- Tool URLPublic keyset
- Initiate login URL
- Redirection URL
- Ensure the LTI Version is set to LTI 1.3.
- If your institution will be using the gradescope.ca, gradescope.eu, or gradescope.com.au instance, in the Custom parameters box add one of the following:
- Gradescope.eu users enter - preferred_geography=eu
- Gradescope.ca users enter - preferred_geography=ca
- Gradescope.com.au users enter - preferred_geography=ap
- If you are using gradescope.com, you can leave this box blank.
- Set Tool configuration usage to be Show in activity chooser as a preconfigured tool.
- Set the Default launch container to either be Existing Window or New Window.
- Ensure the Supports Deep Linking box is ticked.
- From the Services drop-down, configure the settings to show:
- IMS LTI Assignment and Grade Services: Use this service for grades sync and column management
- IMS LTI Names and Role Provisioning: Use this service to retrieve members’ information as per privacy settings
- Tool Settings: Use this service
- From the Privacy drop-down, configure the settings to show:
- Share launcher’s name with tool: Always
- Share launcher’s email with tool: Always
- Accept grades from the tool: Always
- Force SSL: Check
- Select Save changes. Gradescope will now appear as an option for your instructors, but they will receive error messages until the Deployment stage in Step 3 is complete if they attempt to create Gradescope courses or assignments via the LTI links in Moodle.
Step Two - Configuring in Gradescope
- Now that you have configured the necessary details in Moodle, you need to copy details back to Gradescope. To access the required information, return to the Manage Tools page in Moodle.
- Under the Tools heading, you will notice your Gradescope configuration is listed at the top. Select the View configuration details icon (depending on the version you are using, this will either be stacked lines or a magnifying glass).
- Copy the details provided from Moodle’s Tool configuration details modal and paste them into the LMS Details section in Gradescope. Ensure you provide details for:
- Platform ID
- Client ID
- Public keyset URL
- Access token URL
- Authentication request URL
- Select Save on the Gradescope configuration page.
Step Three - Deployment
Gradescope is now installed and will be listed within your External Apps. To complete the configuration we need to link it to your account so that it can be used by instructors and students.
- Access a Moodle course and select + Add an activity or resource.
- Select External Tool.
- Enter an activity name and select Gradescope from the Preconfigured tool drop-down. Gradescope will be listed as whatever you have named it in the External Tool configuration page. Select the Select Content button.
- You may be prompted to log into Gradescope if you are not already. Please ensure you are logging into the account that has had the integration permissions enabled.
- Enter your Branded Platform Name and select your school. This will be the name that instructors will see in Gradescope when referring to your Moodle integration. We recommend using a name that instructors will easily associate with your Moodle LMS.
- Select Save and return to course.
- You’re done! Your instructors are now able to link their Moodle courses to Gradescope, sync rosters, create and link assignments, and sync grades between Gradescope and Moodle. Want to know how? Check out our Moodle guidance for instructors. We also provide guidance for your students.