Table of Contents
When you access Gradescope through Brightspace, you will not need separate Gradescope credentials, even if you are a new Gradescope user. Simply navigate to your course in Brightspace and click the Gradescope tool link in your course module.
If you'd like to access your Gradescope account on the Gradescope website, you can go to the site and log in with your school credentials if your institution has that option. If your school doesn't have that option, click Log In, click Forgot your password?, and then enter the email address you use to access Brightspace (usually your school email). If your instructor gave you a course code and you don't already have a Gradescope account, click Sign Up on the Gradescope website, and enter your course code and Brightspace-associated email. With the latter two methods, you'll then get an email from Gradescope with login and password creation instructions.
Regardless of whether you access Gradescope starting on the Gradescope website or via Brightspace, you will be taken to the same Gradescope account, as long as the email address linked to the account is the same. If you do end up with multiple accounts under multiple emails, you can merge accounts. If you have any problems accessing your Gradesope account, see the Troubleshooting section at the end of this page.
- Log in to Brightspace or the Gradescope website. Then click your course.
- If you started on the Gradescope website, you will now be on your Course Dashboard, so simply click the assignment you'll be submitting. If you started in Brightspace, click Content. Then in your Table of Contents, click the module containing Gradescope in the title or the module your instructor has told you contains your link to Gradescope. In the appropriate module, click the link to the Gradescope External Learning Tool. This will launch the Gradescope Course Dashboard either in a new tab or right in Brightspace depending on your instructor's settings. On your Gradescope Course Dashboard, click the assignment you'll be submitting.If you have any problems accessing your Gradesope account, see the Troubleshooting section at the end of this page.
- Based on your instructor's settings, next you could see instructions to upload PDFs or images, link code repositories, or start answering questions online. At this point, the way students submit Gradescope assignments is the same for Brightspace and non-Brightspace users so check out the in-depth articles on scanning work (if needed) and how you may be asked to submit your assignment. Keep in mind that if you encounter an error message trying to access your Gradescope assignment, the assignment may not be released to students yet.
- Once you've submitted the assignment, if your instructor has allowed it, you can view your submission. If you don't have that option, then you will be able to view your work when your instructor publishes grades.
Viewing grades and submissions
- Log in to Brightspace or the Gradescope website.
- If you started on the Gradescope website, next click your course and then your assignment. If your instructor has published your grades to Gradescope, this will bring up your graded, annotated submission, question-by-question scores, rubrics, and feedback.
- If you started on Brightspace, next click Grades. If your instructor has posted grades to Brightspace, you will see your overall assignment grade here.
- To view your submission and feedback if you started in Brightspace, click Content, click the module where you accessed this Gradescope assignment, and then click the Gradescope tool link in the module. This will launch the Gradescope Course Dashboard either in a new tab or right in Brightspace. On the Gradescope Course Dashboard, select your assignment. If your instructor has published grades to Gradescope, you will be able to see your submission, points breakdown, and any comments your instructor gave you.
If it's time for you to submit work, but you don't see a Gradescope tool link in your course module, your instructor may not have linked Gradescope to your course correctly or at all. If that's the case, go to the Gradescope website, click the Log In button, and enter the email address you use to access Brightspace (e.g., your school email). Next, either enter your existing password for the Gradescope website or click Forgot your password? to reset it or create one for the first time. As long as you've entered the email address you use to access Brightspace, you will be taken to the same Gradescope account you would have accessed through Brightspace. If you find that your courses and assignments are split across multiple accounts, see the Help Center article on merging accounts.
If Gradescope doesn’t appear within the embedded window in Brightspace (D2L), you may need to make some small changes to your browser settings.
- Safari - Select Preferences from Safari’s settings and then ensure Prevent cross-site tracking is unchecked
- Incognito mode in Chrome - Access https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647. Select Privacy and security and then Cookies and other site data. Here you will be able to Allow all cookies.
If you need any help, email firstname.lastname@example.org.